skip to main content
- Large numbers are not needed - small is better.
- The cost of this community outreach is minimal.
- Only two leaders are needed per group.
- Groups can be facilitated by people who have limited time in their weekly schedules - Preparation takes approximately 1 hour, the
group meets for 1½ - 2 hours, followed by a facilitator's debrief of approximately ½ hour - 45 minutes = 3 hours 45 minutes per 13-14 week cycle.
- Please note: Due to administrative responsibilities, the overall coordinator (for the teens and children's programmes) will need to allow
approximately 5 hours per week during the cycle. The coordinator will also need to allow considerable time before the cycle to order
materials and advertise.
- Interaction is personal and extended over a duration of 13-14 weeks.
- Participants form friendships that often last beyond the support group.
support groups provide
- A medium for honest sharing of personal experiences and feelings.
- A place to share common concerns with people who are going through similar experiences.
- A safe non-judgmental environment to enable participants to explore and verbalize powerful emotions they might otherwise keep to themselves.
- An opportunity to learn coping skills.
- An environment of positive reinforcement, emotional support and hopefulness.
- An opportunity for group members to pool information about everything from resources for legal, medical, or
financial help to referrals for finding the best plumber, mechanic, or decorator.
- An opportunity for personal growth.
support groups are not
- Therapy groups where facilitators diagnose or treat emotional and/or behavioural problems. The group interaction, however,
can be very therapeutic.
- Led by counsellors, though they are led by trained facilitators who can steer the session and ensure that
the meeting is not dominated by a few individuals.
- A dating or matchmaking service.